Menu
RUB RUB 100 3.843
USD USD 1 2.4417
EUR EUR 1 2.8436
Other currencies >>

narrow-gauge railway Borjomi-Bakuriani

Kukushka (Georgian: ბაკურიანი-ბორჯომი რკინიგზა "კუკუშკა") is a railroad between Borjomi and Bakuriani in Georgia, Eurasia.
 
The construction of this 900 mm (2 ft 11 7⁄16 in) narrow gauge line began in 1897 and because of the difficult environmental conditions, lasted for four years. Since January 1902, the first "Kukushka” train passed Borjomi-Bakuriani narrow-gauge line. Since then the "Kukushka” serves tourists and the fans of skiing. For the movement to high-mountainous areas, a steam engine of "Porter" type was brought from England. Cars of open type were added to the train, which were framed only by handrails. Since 1967, the small-steam engine was replaced by an electric engine from Škoda Transportation, Czechoslovakia.
 
The operator of this line is “Borjom-Bakuriani Railway” LLC (BBR), the company was established in April 2010. The only Shareholder is “Railway Property Management” LLC, which itself is owned by Georgian Railway.
 
The line is mainly used for passenger service. Freight traffic was transported until 1991 from the Andezit mine of Bakuriani. The region is quite well known for tourists due to its close location with the capital of the country, that makes it easy to plan weekend tours. The railway line is widely used by local population to travel between the two resorts. It takes 2,5 hours to travel from Bakuriani to Borjomi and back. The trains leave two times a day in each direction. Connections from and to Tbilisi are ensured.
 
Borjomi Gorge has always been the matter of great interest, with resort conditions and the world famous mineral water "Borjomi". For the purpose of commercial benefit of natural riches, the Russian royal family of Romanovs began construction of Khashuri-Borjomi railway line in 1894.
 
Construction of a narrow-gauge line began in 1897 and because of the difficult environmental conditions, lasted for four years. Since January 1902, the first "Kukushka” train passed Borjomi-Bakuriani narrow-gauge line. Since then the "Kukushka” serves tourists and the fans of skiing. For the movement to high-mountainous areas, a steam engine of "Porter" type was brought from England. Cars of open type were added to the train, which were framed only by handrails. Since 1967, the small-steam engine was replaced by an electric engine.
 
The bridge which connects Tsaghveri to Tsemi by Borzhomi-Bakuriani railway line, was designed by the French engineer Alexandre Gustave Eiffel under the order of the Romanovs. The construction was brought to Georgia and installed on the river Tsemistskali in 1902.
Description of the location
Add to favorites
Tours here
Excursions here
Reviews
Map
Getting there
useful links
Description of the location
Add to favorites
Tours here
Excursions here
Reviews
Map
Getting there
useful links
promo
promo
promo
sweet-georgia.org